Thursday, January 05, 2006

pity, party of one please

I had this whole second part as a follow-up to my new year's post but then this whole debacle up in West Virginia happened, and I've been totally enthralled with that.

The rescue peeps basically - unintentionally, of course - gave the poor families false hope that their loved ones were alive when they weren't...except for one. I don't blame the fams to go off their rockers like this. I would too! I mean, they were told that the miners were alive and that they were coming up to the church to see them. They were told that!! And now only one is alive? Excuse me for my language but what the hell happened???? These poor people need - and want - answers. They deserve them.

And now it's the media's fault?! Excuse me, but how is it their fault? They were only doing what they were told and saying what they've been told. All I have to say is this: GO TEAM ANDERSON!

And on another note, my friend and I had sort of a "pity party", if you will, about how we both want to get closer to God and stuff but we can't because we need discipline and we have no idea how to go about doing that. We were both saying how we want our friend Josh to kick our butts from here to kingdom come in order for us to get out butts - no pun intended - into high gear. And it isn't supposed to be easy; discipline is supposed to hurt. I mean, it's like what Dr. Phil said once on his show to the actor, Michael Rappaport, when MR was talking about disciplining his kid:

"Time-out is supposed to be a sensory deprivation. Kids have short attention spans," Dr. Phil explains "If you put them up in their room where there are Disney characters all over the wall, Simpsons all over the wall, and stuff that they can look at and study and get into, then that's not punishment ... What you have to have with time-out, is they are deprived of stimulation. That's why it started out in the old days where you have to go stand in the corner. You put them somewhere that they can't entertain themselves, where it's boring for them." (courtesy of DrPhil.com)

There are far too many worldly distractions that are keeping us from spending more and more time with God, which is exactly what Satan wants. That can be summed up in the Bible verse 1 Peter 2:11 (New Living Translation):

" ... So I warn you to keep away from evil desires because they fight against your very souls."

Why is it so hard to wrap our heads around? UGH! It's horrible! Anyway, thanks for listening to my pity party. Next time will be a happier post. I promise.

No comments: