Friday, January 21, 2011

faithful friday: forgiveness [part two]


Remember my post from last Friday? I can honestly say that I have forgiven Caleb*. I was having time to myself this past week in the bath, which has been known to be my God-time, and I just decided to forgive him. I was tired of holding on to this hurt. I didn't want this pain any longer. So I forgave him. I expected tears. It didn't happen. I expected to be totally overcome by the Holy Spirit. It didn't happen. I expected some momentous occasion to mark this turning point in my life...and it didn't happen. What did happen, though, was this genuine love that came into my heart and spirit for Caleb.

Letting go of the hurt and pain that somebody has caused you, intentionally and unintentionally, doesn't have to be this huge occasion with God as I had found out. It can, for some people, but for others it's short, sweet, and right to the point. Forgiving someone can be as simple as surrendering to God and say, "Okay, Lord, I'm done with this. I want to forgive." That is completely okay. It doesn't have to be this huge shindig complete with tears, wails, kleenex boxes by the dozen, and people around you holding your hand and praying for you like I had thought.

It's about you, and how you roll. For me, I don't like to be the center of attention all that much so maybe that's why this whole act of forgiveness thing was just a tender moment that I had with God.

I feel good about this, I really do. I released him from any ill feelings I had toward him that may have hindered him, in some way, during his walk with God. I repented of that. Here's what I think: I think that when a person holds someone in contempt/unforgiveness/grudge/whatever, they are holding them back from everything that God has for them. I don't know how it all works yet but it's what God has dropped into my spirit this week.

From the words of Louie Giglio on
Twitter:

"If you're not speaking God's best over your life each day in 2011, who is? Don't be afraid to preach truth to yourself!"

That's good advice, and it works in forgiveness too. In order to keep the love flowing, it really helps to speak life over the other person and not speak death.









*Not his real name, and yes, he WILL remain nameless!

No comments: